Walking through my mom’s kitchen yesterday morning, I found a list of spiritual lessons posted to her bulletin board.
Each reflection turned out to be a specific teaching I had learned while studying in Brazil and later shared with her during my trip. These lessons still guide me on a daily basis and help me to remain balanced, grounded and in my joy throughout all parts of the day. They have become such an integral part of my life that I can’t help but share a few of them here:
1. Always remember to breathe deeply. It is amazing how irregular our breathing can become in our daily lives. Bringing awareness to the breath as a focal point has allowed me to practice maintaining a permanent state of balance no matter what my external situation is.
2. Give to yourself by giving to others. The more you give the more you receive.
3. Always come from a place of love and compassion, no matter what the situation is, and know that everything is a lesson in one form or another.
4. Be gentle and compassionate with yourself, love yourself and know that you are human. You are here to learn, to grow and to experience.
5. When you find something you are passionate about and care about, be disciplined. They have a phrase here in Brazil: ‘Firmeza a Trabalho’, meaning to be firm in the work. I am learning to dig deep and find the strength within myself to be able to do what I want to do and follow my heart. However, there is always a difference between working hard and hard work and learning how to decipher the difference between the two helps to navigate this world in a much more gentle way.